Thumbs Down/Regret: Revlon Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake
Sunday 2 September 2012, Sunday, September 02, 2012 |

Alright, so let me just put a little disclaimer here before I begin, I'm not giving a thumbs down to this actual product, as it's a wonderful product and I adore the Revlon Lip Butters, I just personally regret buying this specific shade, and now onwards!

During my lovely (and busy!) travels to the UK in March/April (yes, I do still have products to review from England) the much adored (and I would call them a product of the year) Revlon Lip Butters were released. Now, I first heard about them during November 2011 and were released in the US as such; Australia being as slow as a mule didn't grab a hold of them until April 2012. Just a note; when I bought them at Superdrug in Westfield Stratford they were £7.99 (as they are priced now) which is about $12 in AUD, over here the majority of retailers are selling Revlon Lip Butters at $21 to about $23, another pricing outrage for my poor country. I was lucky enough to get three shades while I was over there, Sweet Tart, Lollipop (both of which I adore) and Strawberry Shortcake, which I first saw on MissGlamorazzi's Lip Butter review video on youtube and it looked incredible on her and beautiful swatched, so I went ahead and purchased all three.


(sneaky shot of my ring in the corner ;) )

Typical of Revlon to have gorgeous and rather elegant packaging for a drugstore brand (even though I'm paying practically high end prices =____=) with a stunning quilted lipstick case in the colour of your chosen Lip Butter that has a see through top so you can actually view the shade itself in store, and a sticker down the bottom that is also the same shade as your product. Let me reiterate that the Revlon Lip Butters are not a bad product, but I regret buying this particular shade and I think that there are a lot of ladies out there who would have had the same problem. Regardless of this they have a beautifully creamy texture that lends strong colour opacity despite its moisturising balm properties.



So if you can't really tell from the pictures above, Strawberry Shortcake just doesn't really suit me. I find it's one of those pinks that's extremely difficult to wear for a variety of reasons, I believe one of them is that it doesn't suit my olive undertones, it doesn't suit my eye colour (a mixture of light green/blue/brown) and I feel it would better suit brown eyes. It makes your teeth appear yellow even if they're perfectly white, and I think that the natural pigmentation of my lips is a bit too dark for Strawberry Shortcake so I have to apply it very generously if I want it to be opaque, but because it's not flattering I don't at all! It's a bit like a M.A.C Viva Glam Gaga (which I do own, and am struggling to use due to the same reasons) or a M.A.C Saint Germain on me, this barbie pink colour just doesn't work with me at all. I've also had a M.A.C artist use Angel on me and I had the same issue. It's such a shame because I'm so drawn to these colours and then I remember how awful they look on me :( 

I can most definitely recommend the Revlon Lip Butters as an overall product but do be careful with your shades. If you're in Australia I suggest you test them in store to find the correct shade and then purchase them online through eBay as the prices over here for them are ridiculous.



Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Post a Comment