Blush Lust: the Balm "Down Boy" & Some news about Parabens
Saturday 1 September 2012, Saturday, September 01, 2012 |

Hola my little rays of worldly sunshine! Today I've got a rather glowing review for you on a product I never thought would see hit my shores, from a brand I almost screamed about when I sighted in David Jones last month; it's "Down Boy" blusher by up and coming Californian cosmetics brand the Balm. First of all let me tell you I am positively obsessed with this brand and will more than likely be adding more of their incredible products to my collection (I also have the Balmbini Palette Vol. 2 as a free gift with purchase of $24.95+ which I also adore!). One thing that tends to be an issue with overseas brands coming into Australia is that their prices tend to be hugely inflated but this isn't the case with the Balm; on the US website Down Boy costs $21 but over here it cost me $25, the prices are ones I'm more than willing to pay!



the Balm prides themselves on being one of the few cosmetic companies who's products are paraben free, which is all well and good except for the fact that parabens are one of the safest forms of preservatives in cosmetic history.


Media-fueled lies aside, Down Boy is packaged in a thin flip top cardboard case (great for travelling!) and has a small compact mirror in the lid for touch ups. I love the design on the box, the colours, the illustrations and the overall cheekiness of the Balm's design and humour actually reminds me a lot of Benefit, I'd say they're like a baby version of Benefit, just with some way better products! 



A gripe that people often have with matte pink powder blushes is that they can come off very chalky (especially on darker or more yellow based undertones) but Down Boy is anything but! It has a smooth, buttery dry texture that picks up easily onto the brush and blends very well into the skin. Down Boy is also extremely pigmented so don't be too generous in your application or you may look like a china doll! I actually find this blush to be fairly long lasting (as far as blushes go, for many people it's the first product that fades throughout the day). I find that a great pink blush like this can really bring a girly brightness to the face rather than just a regular peach toned blush, I've been loving this during winter and will even more for summer and spring! Highly recommended :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Post a Comment