Makeup Lust: the Balm Balmbini Volume 2 Palette
Saturday 8 September 2012, Saturday, September 08, 2012 |

I have got quite a treat for you guys today! One of my definite favourites for this month that I can't wait to gush about to you guys. the Balm's success has been absolutely skyrocketing across the US and I'm thrilled that it's finally on sale here (thank you David Jones!), as part of a gift with purchase of $24.95 or more I scored a Volume 2 Balmbini Palette. I'm not normally one to fall for gifts with purchase as the price requirement is usually ridiculously high (I'm talking about you Clinique gift time!) but since it's only $25, plus it's my first purchase from the Balm I gave in.



Balmbini Volume 2 has two magnetised flip sections within the palette that separate the lip products from the eye products, housing the Lip and Cheek Cream in Strawberry and the aptly named Lip Gloss in the colour Nude. This palette is thin, small and lightweight and would definitely be travel-friendly.


Lip and Cheek Cream hasn't got the creamiest texture but isn't on the dry side. It's strongly pigmented and has a (unfortunately) slight mint scent, but when I read the ingredients there's no indication of menthol or peppermint which is great! It's a colour that I find quite flattering on most skintones and lip colours as well. Lip and Cheek Cream isn't extremely blendable and to cover the whole area of your cheek you'll need to rub your finger in the colour/dab it about 2/3 times. I would say it's quite buildable and definitely has a matte finish but that can look a little drying on the lips as it's not a moisturising formula. Be careful if you choose to use it on your cheeks that they are moisturised first as this can exacerbate dry, flaky skin.

Nude Lip Gloss is my preferred option out of the two and has a much creamier texture without being overly thick or heavy. It blends into lips much easier and the colour isn't one of those dead looking nudes, rather a flattering warm brown tone that's sheer enough to not look old, but pigmented enough to  nude out your lips. Nude Lip Gloss works fairly well on top of lipsticks too and doesn't disrupt them.


In the upper, larger compartment of the palette are the eyeshadows which I would definitely say are the stellar part of the palette, as well as a reasonably large sized mirror that's perfect for close ups and touch ups. I love the leopard print backing inside the palette and all the colours and designs from the Balm products on the outside, so colourful! Inside the top compartment there's 4 shadow/liners as well as my favourite of the whole palette, a highlighter/shadow.


To begin the arsenal of shadows you're faced with Manic Maribel, a super pigmented bronze/gold colour (think Urban Decay Baked but more neutral and less orange). Personally I love bronze and gold colours and they're easily my most used apart from brown, so I'm definitely gonna get a lot of use out of Manic Maribel. All of the shadow/liner shades have a soft and creamy texture for a powder and a shimmery finish but I'd definitely say Manic Maribel has the best texture.


Onto a more ostentatious colour Open To Offers Olwen is a slightly drier deep turquoise colour that I have yet to use. For my eyes I can't really wear blues or greens as it isn't flattering (wearing the same or similar colours for eyeshadow as your eyes is not complementary or pretty) so I have a hard time using any turquoise or blue colours. This would definitely look cool on someone with brown eyes as a liner on the lower lashline in summer but not for me. Open To Offers Olwen is a bit less pigmented and more difficult to blend (from experience with swatching) than Manic Maribel but nether the less is still a formidable colour for people who like and get a use out of their brights.


Lavish Latoya is a much more wearable colour for me personally that I really can't wait to use. It's one of those purples that has more red in it than blue and I find that more flattering on my eyes as I do love warmer tones. I'd definitely use this in a purple smokey eye (which I'm planning on doing soon for a new tutorial so stay tuned for that!) and has the blendability for it. It's more pigmented and softer than Open To Offers Olwen and I think a lot of girls would really enjoy using Lavish Latoya.


Though it may not look like it (there's excess fallout from using Promiscuous Pearl) Jinxy Jasmyne is a highly pigmented, smooth, matte black eyeshadow that I'm pleased to have gotten some use out of. As some of you may know I was looking into purchasing M.A.C Carbon eyeshadow so I could start doing black smokey eyes with a good matte eyeshadow, and now I'm saved from doing so! I like to use Jinxy Jasmyne as a liner (one of its multi-uses) when I'm doing a softer or smudged out makeup on someone, or to darken up my crease and outer corners when I'm doing makeup for nighttime. 


Onto the absolute, hands-down star of the show; Promiscuous Pearl Highlighter/Shadow is my favourite powder highlighter that I own and I've been using it like a mad woman ever since I bought Balmbini. It has an incredibly pigmented, soft, shimmery and healthy looking true pearl/champagne glow that I really can't get enough of it. I use this on all areas of my face I want to highlight such as the cheekbones, above my brows and on my browbone, down the bridge of my nose, chin and cupids bow, as well as an inner corner highlight for my eyes where it really works a treat. One of the things I love about Promiscuous Pearl is that the highlighter is a shimmer, and not glitter product, so there's no chunkiness or roughness when you're applying it to your skin, where it works just as well with your fingers or any brush. If they did sell Promiscuous Pearl as an individual product I would buy it by the bucketload!


Swatch time! From left to right; Promiscuous Pearl Highlighter/Shadow, Jinxy Jasmyne Shadow/Liner, Manic Maribel Shadow/Liner, Open To Offers Olwen Shadow/Liner, Lavish Latoya Shadow/Liner, Strawberry Lip and Cheek Cream, Lip Gloss in Nude.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Post a Comment